Software Engineer II, Site Reliability
Engineering / Remote
Share job post:
Flipboard is a content discovery platform for your passions, interests, and news. Available on web, iOS, and Android, Flipboard offers the world important and influential articles shared by the greatest publishers and our awesome Flipboard community to advance conversation, keep people informed, and inspire them to engage, learn, and lead.
Flipboard is looking for a Senior Site Reliability Engineer to help us build the Flipboard production environment. We work primarily in AWS, ensuring a highly available and performant product to millions of users daily. If you have a passion for large-scale distributed systems, next generation provisioning and orchestration tools, come check us out. You will be challenged dealing with the growth of a highly trafficked mobile application with millions of concurrent connections coupled with services that consume the world of content and social signals constantly. Remote employees welcome!
- Build, monitor and automate our large scale services in AWS.
- Ensure the reliable operation of our large scale services in AWS built with open source technologies like Kuberntes, Docker, HBase, SQL Databases and everything in between.
- Build operational automation and developer tools and micro-services to help us move faster
- Play a key role in the research, design, and implementation of new technologies for scaling our growing data sets and processing pipelines
The Ideal Candidate Has:
- Experience with Kubernetes and operating Kubernetes clusters
- Proficiency in monitoring production applications
- In depth knowledge of virtualization, container technology, service-mesh and api-gateways
- 5+ years industry software development experience
Other Skills & Experience:
- You take pride in writing great and maintainable code and are experienced in scripting and statically typed languages (python, shell script, go, java, c++, etc)
- You have 3+ years of experience, including site reliability experience / devops or infrastructure engineering.
- You’re comfortable working with linux, containers and building automated server environments in the cloud.
- You’re striving for a new challenge in building a modern, robust large scale infrastructure in AWS.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills in a Linux environment
- Ability to debug and optimize code and networks
- Familiarity with relational databases such as SQL and distributed data stores
- Experience with performance tuning and system load monitoring and diagnostics
- C.S. or Engineering degree or equivalent experience
Benefits & Perks
- USA: Our benefits include vision, dental, life, and health insurance, plus 401K with an employer match
- Canada: Our benefits include vision, dental, life, health insurance, “Employee and Family Assistance Program”, plus eligibility to participate in our pension plan with an employer match
- All Locations: Flexible hours and generous ‘out of office time’ for holidays, vacations, sick leave, relaxation & wellness, personal and family needs | Team celebrations: company anniversaries, birthdays, Thanksgiving, weddings/babies –– you name it, we celebrate it!
Why Join Flipboard?
- Our vision: At a time when society could really benefit from being more informed and inspired, we are enabling great stories to reach the right communities around the world.
- Our team: Led by experienced CEO, Mike McCue, the Flipboard team is a positive, respectful, and diverse group of bright and highly capable people who work collaboratively with strong purpose and vision. The Flipboard team is headquartered in downtown Redwood City, CA in the beautiful SF Bay Area. Although our roots lie in the Silicon Valley, our team extends around the world: New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, Seattle, Vancouver, and London.
- Our culture: We value an environment and culture that encourages people’s voices and perspectives to be heard. We believe that leveraging our team will lead us to create better products and services for all our users and partners. We value diversity and inclusion at Flipboard and are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
- Our value: We are fully funded and making steady, meaningful progress on a premium, high margin business within a $600B, highly strategic market. Our business model is tightly aligned with our values, our partners and our user experience which makes our company both valuable and unique.
- Our product: Millions of people truly love Flipboard and rely on it regularly. Flipboard is a standard bearer for great mobile design, innovation, and we deeply value craftsmanship.
- Our platform: Our platform selects the best content from thousands of publishers around the world, organizes it into highly personalized feeds, and presents it for further curation by the community. We are driven by hard technical challenges and we value pioneering new technology to continually increase the power, efficiency and scale of our platform.