Senior Software Engineer, Recommendations
Engineering / Vancouver, BC, Canada
Share job post:
Flipboard is a content discovery platform for your passions, interests, and news. Available on web, iOS, and Android, Flipboard offers the world important and influential articles shared by the greatest publishers and our awesome Flipboard community to advance conversation, keep people informed, and inspire them to engage, learn, and lead.
Who We Are: At Flipboard we are re-imagining how people consume news and information in the world. The Recommendations & Search team deals with billions of daily signals to help users in the face of information overload. We build large scale personalized recommendation engines utilizing different kinds of signals such as social network, user activity and editorial input. Most of our work is about recommendation systems, natural language processing, search understanding and retrieval, trend detection, distributed systems, and social graph analysis.
The majority of the team is in Vancouver, Canada. We work daily with engineers spread out across North America and are open to hiring remote engineers close to Pacific Timezone, preferably in Canada.
What You’ll Do: We are looking for an experienced Senior Engineering Lead to guide our Search infrastructure and roadmap forward. The role is initially technically focused, with transition to include engineering management as the team grows. You will be working closely with the Data, Recommendations and Core services engineers, as well as with Design and Product. You will be a leading contributor to distributed infrastructure, algorithm development and implementation. You will share your expertise with your teammates and mentor junior engineers. You will have substantial independence and responsibility from day one.
- Lead the vision and integration of Search infrastructure with Recommendations and Core services. Be responsible for the technical strategy, roadmap and implementation
- Build strong relationships with Design, Product and other functions, partnering with them to deliver value to our users
- Mentor the professional development of direct reports through personal and performance management
- Be an engineering talent magnet, forming a collaborative team
Who You Are
- You have a strong software engineering background and have built relevance driven products.
- You have led engineering teams towards successful delivery of large scale systems
- You care about setting up healthy, distributed teams and collaborative environments
- You are capable of communicating & collaborating with business, product, engineering, design and research colleagues to discover new opportunities
- Minimum 5 years of relevant industry experience
- Highly proficient in Java, Python, C++ or related programming language
- Experience with ElasticSearch or other search technologies
- Mathematics foundation, with experience in Search, Recommender Systems, Machine Learning or NLP
- Bonus: hands-on AWS experience
Benefits & Perks
- Canada: Our benefits include vision, dental, life, health insurance, “Employee and Family Assistance Program”, plus eligibility to participate in our pension plan with an employer match
- All Locations: Flexible hours and generous ‘out of office time’ for holidays, vacations, sick leave, relaxation & wellness, personal and family needs | Team celebrations: company anniversaries, birthdays, Thanksgiving, weddings/babies –– you name it, we celebrate it!
Why Join Flipboard?
- Our vision: At a time when society could really benefit from being more informed and inspired, we are enabling great stories to reach the right communities around the world.
- Our team: Led by experienced CEO, Mike McCue, the Flipboard team is a positive, respectful, and diverse group of bright and highly capable people who work collaboratively with strong purpose and vision. The Flipboard team is headquartered in downtown Redwood City, CA in the beautiful SF Bay Area. Although our roots lie in the Silicon Valley, our team extends around the world: New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, Seattle, Vancouver, and London.
- Our culture: We value an environment and culture that encourages people’s voices and perspectives to be heard. We believe that leveraging our team will lead us to create better products and services for all our users and partners. We value diversity and inclusion at Flipboard and are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
- Our value: We are fully funded and making steady, meaningful progress on a premium, high margin business within a $600B, highly strategic market. Our business model is tightly aligned with our values, our partners and our user experience which makes our company both valuable and unique.
- Our product: Millions of people truly love Flipboard and rely on it regularly. Flipboard is a standard bearer for great mobile design, innovation, and we deeply value craftsmanship.
- Our platform: Our platform selects the best content from thousands of publishers around the world, organizes it into highly personalized feeds, and presents it for further curation by the community. We are driven by hard technical challenges and we value pioneering new technology to continually increase the power, efficiency and scale of our platform.